Thursday, August 9, 2007

God's Dwelling Place



“Unchurched” they say.
Northwest souls gone astray!



A church of wood or stone

Is made by flesh and bone

A good place for a flock

To pray together and talk.



But it was not always so

A few thousand years ago

Men perceived God on mountains high

Where their eyes lifted up to see the sky.



They heard his voice, but would not say his name

God was not something men could claim.



But we are creatures who like to own

Our God must be ours alone.

We must be the “chosen ones”

Specially picked, most favored under the sun.



So Hebrew nomads put their God in a box

And toted Him around over sand and rock.

Only men Holy could touch it they said,

If you try, you will surely be dead!



Although it is said God protested,

Once they had found a suitable place

They built a great temple, with a secret space

To house their God and keep him safe

From the unclean and lowly

So that only men Holy could glimpse his face.



Last week I camped on a high mountain lake

And I swear -- the Spirit of God was everywhere.



In every breeze, I felt His touch,

Knew Love unbound by human clutch.

I didn’t have to search…..He was right there

Talking to me, as I listened in prayer.



Now I must be clear. It wasn’t a human voice I heard

It was the essence of God which requires no word.

I felt myself one with rock, water, and tree
Part of a whole, that still values the special thata is "me".


So ”churched folk” need not despair

God is not confined to a church

He is “Everywhere”.



But most easily found on a high mountain lake

Where the Spirit of God is there just to take.

No comments: